Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 11 – It’s Not Easy Being Green

Even though I spent most of the day horizontal, Alan is making me write the blog. As I didn’t really see that much from the comfort of my bed, Alan will add his additional observations in red.

After a bumpy night we woke up to an even bumpier day.  The boat was moving so much that even netting the pool didn’t help to keep the water in so they eventually drained it, much to Alan’s horror.  With the temperature a balmy 10 degrees, he was looking forward to getting in and doing a few laps. The spa baths still have water in them, but you’d freeze the moment you stepped out.

DSC06021

Breakfast was had by most but not really me.  I then retired to the bed for a lie down. I was forced up and out the door for trivia.  All but one team member made it but that was okay, she’s not that bright anyway. There’s a couple of others on our team who are even less bright than her. We had a reasonably good round.  We didn’t win but were up there.  We would have been closer had my answer to one particular question not been shot down by Alan and didn’t get passed to the group.  As it turned out, had it been heard and accepted, I would have been the only person in the room to get it right. It’s Sarah’s fault for not being more assertive. Maybe I should have more mid-morning naps. Finally, as Australians we were able to contribute to an Australian question; what does Qantas stand for?  Yay us!!!

Following trivia was lunch, again for some of us.  I couldn’t stomach too much and when the smell of coffee hit me, I knew it was time to retire to the room again.  Alan went out for a walk mid afternoon and checked in at the bar just below our room.  Apparently they had one customer all afternoon.  Not surprising considering it was 10 degrees and the wind was still blowing 100 km/h. With the wind chill, it was 2 degrees. How ridiculous that they make the poor bar girl stay there when no sane person would go out there. Except me, of course. I talked to her for a while.

I joined Alan for afternoon tea, in body but not in spirit.  After his two scones I was an even greener shade of green and had to lie down again.

I was guilted into going to dinner.  Dad wanted to just get sandwiches in the room with me, but Alan didn’t want to go alone so I got up and dragged myself to the dining room.  After a couple of bowls of chicken soup I was feeling a little better but after dinner, Alan and I returned to the room and finished watching the two half movies we had seen.

By the time bed time came around, the boat had slowed to a gentle rock and hopefully by the time we reach Shanghai I will be feeling a little bit more like myself. We heard that it was snowing in Shanghai this morning. By tomorrow it’s supposed to be just rain, though.

The photo below is taken looking up through the the main spiral stairwell in the centre of the ship.

20120306_234014

No comments:

Post a Comment