Saturday, September 1, 2007

We've Arrived

Hello one and all Yes, we've arrived.

 

Alan's parents took us to the airport, arriving at 10.30am.  We've never seen it so quiet and we were checked in within 5 minutes.  I asked how long it would take to get through immigration and customs and she said an hour.  We had some lunch with Alan's parents and then walked through the door to find no-one!  5 minutes and we were on our way to the gate.  Security was a lot less than I thought it would be.

We couldn't get to our boarding gate until about midday.  Security was tighter there which apparently is what it is like for all US flights.  One person checked our boarding tickets and passports, the next person checked our carry on luggage and the third person ran the wand over us.  They also have special rules on board including no congregating of people.  That makes it difficult when you are in line for the toilet.

Things have sure changed since the last time we flew overseas.  Qantas now has like a Foxtel arrangement where you have your own small screen and you can watch what you want, when you want; movies, tv shows, documentaries etc.  It is great being able to pause whenever you want to have a sleep etc.


One thing about Qantas, they like to feed you.  Started with pretzels and a drink, then there was "lunch" at 3pm, then ice cream, then later hot chocolate, then a snack pack filled with water, chocolate, cookies etc and then breakfast. 

It was a dreadful flight though.  I've never had so much turbulence in my life.  It wasn't really bad, but just constant.  There were only a few lulls in the bumping.  This made sleeping very difficult.

We were on the back row of the plane, with just two seats on the side.  This was nice as we never had to bother anyone else if we wanted to get up.

The trip through immigration was a bit slow at this end, taking about 40 minutes.  However, there was no customs check. After collecting our bag which was already waiting for us, we just walked out.

The shuttle took about an hour to get us here but, thankfully we are here. It is very sunny and very hot.  The Foxtel weather channel has been saying about 25-27.  When I spoke to my friend Ray who lives in LA two weeks ago he said it had been 40 in the Valley.  It was about 35-38 at midday when we got to the hotel.  Even now at 8pm it is still over 30.

The hotel is right where we were hoping it was.  The room is a btg dark but very clean and nice.  I'm sitting here in our room with our free wireless internet, in front of the air conditioning.  It's a toss up what I'll do first ... sleep or shower.  I needed both.  I chose sleep.

 

Dinner we walked to Dennys.  It was close and with the heat, that was about as far as we wanted to go.  We avoided the burgers, having steak and prawns.  I also got my first taste of Minute Maid Lemonade.  I had waited 8 years for that taste and I wasn't disappointed.

 

I have to report I called home to check on the cats.  Disappointing to hear that they aren't being very friendly.  I hope that improves.  I worry about them.

 

Well that's it for a first post.  Sorry, no pictures yet ... maybe after tomorrow's first day at Disneyland.  Let's hope it isn't as hot as it is today.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment